Yes, I know it's October but I am a firm believer that it's never to early to get excited for Christmas!
I made them because James's Mum said she wanted either fancy biscuits or mince pies. So naturally I picked the Christmas option!! Giorgia took some lovely pictures for me and I've used one above.
I used the BBC Good Food recipe, I wasn't too happy with it as the pastry is quite hard to work with and I added an egg to bind it.
225g cold diced butter
350g plain flour
100g caster sugar
280g mincemeat (I used Sainsbury's own brand)
Small amount of egg wash
2 cookie cutters
12 hole fairy cake tin
- Rub the butter into the flour and the sugar
- Add one egg and get your hands in there to bring the pastry together
- Shape your pastry in a ball on the work top and knead it until it comes together
- Roll out the pastry and using a round cookie cutter bigger than your cake tin holes, cut the pastry
- Line the cake tin with the pastry and spoon in the mincemeat, use a teaspoon and a half per pie
- Using a slightly smaller cookie cutter to cut out lids for the pies
- Press the lids onto the pies
- Brush with eggwash
- Bake for 20 minutes at gas mark 6/ 200C until golden
- Enjoy! You can play christmas songs in the background to enhance the Christmas experience